Sunday, November 11, 2007

An Awesome time at NAEYC!!!

Well, I just returned from the NAEYC Conference. What an awesome experience. I have never been in one place with so many people who care about young children and how young children learn best. I saw many unbelievable presentations and I will link to as many as I can.

The first presentation that I feel compelled to talk about was one by Lisa Murphy, the Ooey Gooey Lady. The presentation that I specifically saw can be found here. If you haven't heard of her, take time to read her stuff. If you are not on board with process art yet (and you SHOULD be), she's got the info that WILL convince you and your administrators that young children REALLY do learn best through play and experience. This is something that I have always believed and it's awesome to have a nationally known presenter with materials and info supporting that belief.

The next presentation that I would like to highlight was given by Bev Bos. Again, this is another early childhood professional that you should know. She is not only entertaining to listen to, she practices what she preaches. She is the director of her own school and she still makes time to run a classroom!!!!! The talk that I was listening to was about the power of story telling. It was wonderful. The handouts from that talk are not posted on Bev's web site yet, but they will be there soon. I'll post them as soon as they are up.

I also heard Dr. Pamela Schiller speak on appropriate math practices for early childhood education. Needless to say, after her talk, I will be slowly fading out counting with the calender and the use of the calender in general during circle time. She was very entertaining and I learned a considerable amount during her presentation.

Finally, I saw Cheri Sheridan, a speaker affiliated with Dr. Becky Bailey, of Conscious Discipline and Kenny Woods present some great songs that will help with daily preschool routines. Unfortunately, the CD is not ready yet, but it will be soon!!!!

A few other things. . . .
My classroom will be participating in a traveling teddy bear. Click here to see where he is at now!

No comments: